How to Get Real Estate License in Canada

Share Post

While dealing with the buying and selling of houses might not seem like too difficult a task, a lot goes into becoming a licensed real estate representative, particularly in Canada, where the standards are extremely high. In order to get a real estate license in Canada, you are required, under the Real Estate Act of your resident province, to begin by undertaking and successfully completing a course of study designed specifically for this purpose.

The procedure for obtaining a license is different in each province. For example, if you are looking to get a real estate license in British Columbia, you will need to begin by enrolling in the real estate trading services licensing course which is offered at the University of British Columbia’s Real Estate Division. A correspondence course, this includes 20 multiple choice assignments (which take 10-12 hours to complete) and a 3 hour multiple choice final exam. A serious, gruelling course, it covers topics such as mortgage finance, building construction, and a variety of laws, among many other subjects. Only 63% on average sit the final exam after enrolling, and out of these, only 46% manage to pass. In addition to the exam, all students need to prove their language proficiency, by meeting certain requirements.

After passing the exam, students can move on to applying for a license to the Real Estate Council of BC, by filling out the Application for Representative, Associate, or Managing Broker License Form. Finally, the student needs to register for a 5-day course titled Residential Trading Services Applied Practice Course from the BCREA (British Columbia Real Estate Association). The registration needs to be done within 30 days of receiving the license, and the course must be completed within 6 months at most.

Every province has its own procedures, rules, and regulations for granting real estate licenses. In order to find out about the licensing requirements in your resident province, you will need to contact the relevant provincial governing bodies.


Tel: (403) 228-2954

Fax: (403) 228-3065



British Columbia

Tel: 1-877-683-9664 or (604) 683-9664

Fax: (604) 683-9017



Tel: (204) 945-2562

Fax: (204) 948-4627



New Brunswick

Tel: 506-455-9733

Newfoundland and Labrador

Tel: 709-729-2595

Fax: 709-729-3205



Nova Scotia – Governing Body

Tel: 1 (800) 390-1015 or (902) 468-3511

Fax: (902) 468-1016



Nova Scotia – Licensing Education

Tel: (902) 468-2515 or 1-800-344-2001

Fax: (902) 468-2533 or 1-877-220-2533



Northwest Territories

Municipal & Community Affairs

Government of the Northwest Territories

Box 1320

Yellowknife, NT  X1A 2L9

Ontario – Governing Body

Tel: 1-800-245-6910 or 416-207-4800

Fax: (416) 207-4820



Ontario – Licensing Education

Tel: 416-445-9910

Fax: 416-445-2644



Prince Edward Island

Tel: (902) 368-6478



Tel: (450) 676-4800

Fax: (450) 676-7801




Tel: (306) 787-8971


Tel: (800) 661-0408


Share Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

5 × 1 =

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>